Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Marriage.

With all the people around me who are getting married I have been asked how to make a marriage work. Phew! That means I have fooled everyone into thinking I know what I'm doing. But the truth is, there is no one hard fact that can be applied to every marriage. Heck, I have been married for 15 years and I'm still figuring it out. 
To me, marriage is many things. It's accepting his morning breath. It's knowing her socks never match. It's knowing he likes a cup of black coffee after work. It's knowing she hates to wear a bra at home. 
It's telling him he stinks when he forgets to put on deodorant. Or knowing she hates tuna fish. It's staying up late to say good night when he gets home from work. Or making her a cup of coffee when she gets up for work. 
It's watching a football game with him because he likes it even though you don't. Or sitting through a romcom with her for the same reason. 
It's knowing he collects rare coins. Or knowing her favorite thing on a Saturday is to cuddle and read together. 
It's knowing that, when the chips are down and your backs against the wall, someone is in your corner, come what may. 
That's marriage to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment